Friday, July 14, 2006

Lucas and the Bunnies

We have quite a story about Lucas. Unfortunately, we didn't get any pictures or video of it...but I'll tell it anyway. Lucas (our playful pup) found a rabbit's nest in backyard about four nights ago.
Since he had disturbed it, we took him inside without touching anything. The next morning and the next day after that, it appeared that the mother had abandoned them. When I checked on them Tuesday morning they started trying to crawl out of their burrow. I had lost sleep over them the night before wondering what to do so I called Lakeside Nature Center and left a message. They didn't call back so I just kept Lucas inside. Later that evening, I couldn't stand how stir-crazy he was, so I let him out and told him to "leave it" (the burrow). He did for a very long time, but I had to go inside and trusted him to follow my instructions. He did, but the bunnies didn't . I looked out the window to check on him and he was looking all around him on the ground. I ran outside and the bunnies had crawled out of their nest and were rooting all over him for some milk. By this time, he was laying down and one was trying to nurse on his "tit" (this must have been the smartest of the three), one was rooting on his paw and the other was on this shoulder. All the while, he was licking and nuzzling them. He was so incredibly gentle! I yelled for Micah to come quickly. At that point, he called the nature center again and they called back with information for me to put them back and rebuild the nest. I guess the mother comes back at dusk and dawn to nurse so she hadn't been able to since Lucas is out at those times. Also, the volunteer told me to make a design out of thread on top of the burrow and if it was disturbed, then that would mean the mother was back. If she didn't come back, they told me to bring them into the center on Wednesday. Luckily, for the bunnies, the mom came back that night! Lucas was not so lucky. He stands at the door and begs to go out about 99% of the day. Hopefully, they'll grow up quickly so that Lucas can have his backyard again...but I think he'll miss his new friends!
Here's a picture of the nest the night that Lucas first discovered it:

The bunnies had no hair and their eyes were still closed.

I have to throw in some pictures of the baby, she's sooooo cute. We've had a busy week of visiting with friends, miniature golfing, and shopping. We're trying to stay out of the house for part of the evening so that Daddy can study.


Addie loves to let the dogs lick her hands and feet. She laughs hysterically. Hopefully, she'll think they're that cute when they accidently knock her over once she's able to stand.


Addison HATES cereal. I try to feed it to her every day, hoping she'll decide she likes it, but so far...not happening. She closes her mouth and just laughs at me when I open my mouth and make yummy sounds. If I do happen to get any past her lips, she spits it out immediately.

4 comments:

The Funny Farm said...

Oh isn't that sweet with Lucas and the bunnies. Don't worry... theywill grow up...very quickly! Meanwhile I'm with Addie if the cereal is that rice stuff... yuck!!! Give me real fruit and real rice over that powdered version!

Sutton Family said...

Hey Beth- I love the blog site. You can totally put our site on yours. Do you mind if I do the same? I have been following Addi since the beginning and she is so cute...it gives me inspiration to keep giving Mallory all the love I can so that she will be just as happy.

Emily

Jeff and Brenna Morgan said...

Oh, I would love to see the baby buddies! If you get a chance to post more picts when they get bigger...please do.

About the baby cereal....Sydney didn't seem to thrilled about it at first either. The nurse told me to give it to her before she gets milk until she gets the hang of it. When she was actually hungry, she scarfed it down. Also, we started w/ flavored cereal, one apple & one banana. Hang in there!

Jeff and Brenna Morgan said...

PS....She is getting so big!!!