Wednesday, February 01, 2012

Meet Samuel Grady!

Our beautiful baby boy was born on Friday, January 27th @ 11:01. am.

He weighed 8 lbs, 11 ounces and measured 21 inches long. For about two days, we kept everyone in suspense while we debated, polled, and researched possible names. Finally, on Saturday night, we compromised on Samuel Grady Hunt...to be called Grady (unless he likes Samuel better when he's older).

 My final belly pic before leaving for hospital: 40 weeks!
 
I mentioned before that I would be induced on Friday...and I suspected labor would go quickly. All went smoothly...well, almost. There's always a wrench thrown into delivering a baby and we had some hiccups as well. Overall, I can't complain.

First off, I got to have my favorite OB deliver Grady.

I had hoped he could deliver Eliza, but he was on vacation when she was born. I'm so glad it worked out this time! Luckily, Dr. Adams was able to induce me, deliver Grady, was on call all weekend so he checked on us both Saturday and Sunday, and did Grady's circumcision!

Labor:
We arrived at CenterPoint Medical Center around 6 am. It was around 6:50 when my pitocin was started. Doc broke my water sometime later and things started moving right along.

The first hiccup occured when the nurse anesthetist came to give me an epidural. I'll spare you the details, but let's just say...he had a rough time --which meant I did too! He stuck me over 5 times!!! When he called for help, I looked back and asked if everything was alright. That's when I saw a lot of blood. He said he hit a blood vessel and called for someone to come and take a look. At that point, I got light headed and my blood pressure dropped quickly. I think my manners flew out the window too. I remember making a comment about how my other two epidurals weren't anything like this one. Something to that effect...

Delivery:
Fortunately, he got it to work and I had no more complications concerning my epidural. It took away my pain, but I still "felt" when to push, which I think is ideal.  Next thing I knew, I felt like I was needing to push. The nurse check me, said I was at an 8 and left the room. It couldn't have been two minutes later and I said to Micah, "I can feel something descending." I didn't want to be a know-it-all, but I thought maybe I was at a 10. Micah went to the nurse and she came in to check. She quickly confirmed that I was ready, but then said Doc. Adams was in an appointment. He would come shortly and in the meantime..."cross my legs." Yes...that's what she said. Luckily, because I was not in pain, I was able to wait. Doc Adams literally came running in, stripped off his coat and the delivery began. It couldn't have been more than 5 minutes and our little boy was born. He was born with the cord around his neck and his shoulders were stuck for a short time, so his poor little head was BLUE!
 


The rest of his body was pink. I kept telling him to cry...he was waaaaaay quieter than his sisters were at birth. His APGAR score was a 9 after about 3 minutes and we were reassured that he was fine...just bruised. That's why we didn't post many pictures right away. He looked awful!

Little Grady knew exactly how to nurse and I got to feed him right away. His blood type is A pos and I'm O pos. which could have caused him to be jaundiced but he left the hospital without even being on the chart. He was 8 lbs, 2 oz when we left the hospital but was already 8 lbs, 7 oz at his 5 day check up at the pediatrician's office. This boy can eat. Let's hope he continues to eat well.

Overall, my delivery experience was fantastic. Our nurses were great and recovery has been much easier this time around too.


Meeting his sisters:

Addie wrote me the sweetest card...I will keep it forever and read it when she is a sassy teenager. Eliza LOVES baby Grady!

Coming Home:
That being said, coming home and adapting to life with THREE kiddos has been a bit more daunting. Trying to spread attention around to all the children has been difficult to do. I might be over analyzing everything, but I've noticed Addision has been a bit more pouty and Eliza has been more rambunctious. I don't want either of my daughters to feel displaced...so I'm trying to be affirming and attentive. It's hard.




The dogs got to welcome Grady home as well. They've done this with every kiddo.


Kaylee was so sick this summer, I wondered if she would be alive to meet him. He might not remember much of her, but she'll remember him! 
 

Sleep is a hot commodity right now. In fact, I wish I was napping right now. But- Grady is now 5 days old and I needed to blog about this special occasion before it was all a distant memory.

So now the title of this blog will be changing. I'm no longer rambling about my sweet girls, Addie Sue and Eliza Ann. I'm going to have one more little person to go on and on about...bet you're ecstatic! How I love these kiddos!!! It's more of a blessing than I deserve and I'm so thankful that God has entrusted them to me.



Thank you for your prayers for a safe delivery and a healthy baby. My family feels complete with the addition of little Grady. My cup runneth over...

2 comments:

Carrie Fluegge said...

Loved reading this. You look great, Grady is adorable (blue face and all) and I'm so glad you wrote about the whole experience because it helped me relive my own experiences.

amosclarkson said...

Congrats! Great post...crazy about the epi & his bruising!! Glad all is well...he is so cute! I have heard 3 is harder to adjust to than 2 so I understand you feeling torn....just takes time like everything else!!!