Monday, March 27, 2006

GER

I haven't mentioned our most recent news from the doctor's visit we had last Wednesday. My mission was to tell the doctor about Addie's evening crying fits and see what suggestions she had. We really believe Addison has full blown colic now. While we were there, the doc flipped her over and Addison threw up. I guess I had decided not to mention her "spitting up" because I thought all babies did this. Plus, she seemed to have improved. The doctor asked how long it had been since I fed her and I said it had been at least an hour and 15 minutes. She seemed a bit surprised by this and suggested that Addision might have stomach acid-reflex or GER. She said a lot of babies have weak muscles in their esophagus and are not able to keep the food down and when they throw up it can burn (sort of like heartburn, I guess). Keep in mind that I'm not the most medically minded person and I could have translated this completely wrong. Anyway, the bottom line is that she said she'd give me a prescription to help her with heartburn. GREAT! I was happy to hear this.

I had the prescription filled on Thursday (but Walgreens was all out of stock) so I picked it up on Friday instead. You wouldn't believe how much it costs!!!!!!!!!!! $89 for a one month supply!!!! I was so stunned I couldn't really even talk. I just paid for it and left the store in a coma. It would have been nice if the doc would have warned me about how expensive it is. It was originally around $110, but my wonderful insurance helped out a whole whopping $24. We've decided to give it a try this month and see if things improve. We're a bit overwhelmed about paying such a pretty penny on medication that Addision might need because she might have GER.

On a positive note, she does seem to be less upset when she spits up. She doesn't cry as much after eating either.
Here are some photos of her from this morning. She and Kaylee are cuddling.




In this photo, Addison and I were cuddling. We both got a great nap in this afternoon.




We caught her praying for her parents to slip her some ice cream.




This is the face we got during the middle of our photo session. We're not sure what message she was trying to convey.

No comments: